Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Western Olympic Peninsula


Across Southern Washington, yellow expanses of blooming scotch broom filled in the mountains with color.  Between acres of clear- cut redwood stumps, and even in the downpour that seemed to hover only over my car, the bushes were like highlighters that stood out in a greyed landscape.  Rain persisted for hours, but by the time I had reached the coast, the clouds had cleared and the afternoon sun was causing pools of water on the road to steam. 

Along part of the Sol Duc river by the Mora campground
My campsite in the Mora campground on the Western coast of the Olympic Peninsula was 1.4 miles from the beach, a windy pile of pebbles that were mostly perfect for skipping.  But the waves crashed heavily on the steeply piled rocks and ominous clouds promised a shower, so I didn’t plan to stay long. Just off the coast, a towering island structure with cavernous roots matched a landscape of grey rocks and a glowering sky.  The rain began quickly and as I grabbed my pack, the drops got heavier until my hair and face were soaked.   Even the waterproof jacket I had draped over my shoulders became waterlogged, but by the time I trudged back to camp the sun was out again.  To avoid being soaked in my sleep, however dry the roots of my redwood seemed, I decided to camp in my car.



No comments:

Post a Comment