Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Climbing Mt. Muller


Mt. Muller peaks high above lake crescent in the Northern Olympic Peninsula, but its trailhead is hidden in the woods, down an unobtrusive gravel road.  A large signpost required 5$ for a day use permit and when I parked, the box offering maps was empty. The only help was a basic sketch of the trail with mile marks and a sign marked “trail” pointing into the undergrowth.  I made a quick note of some trail markers, packed myself a lunch, and waded in.  According to the trailhead, the loop was 13 miles with a peak elevation of 3745 feet.

Mt. Muller’s first couple hundred feet was a wet forest of lichen-covered trees and tiny single leafed clovers growing across the ground like umbrellas across restaurant patios after a rain.  The air was cool and I kept my windbreaker on for the first mile.  As I hiked, my walking stick marked the tattoo of my steps: “mush, thump, clack” as it struck moss, dirt, and rock.  I wondered how the equestrians using the trail managed on the soft loam that was hardly wider than a deer trail.  Winding higher, I passed back and forth up switchbacks and the miles crept by with the steady pace of a slug sliding down a leaf.  By mile 3 of the steep climb, I was wondering if the trailblazers had been measuring only straightaways because I felt like it had been at least twice the distance.  At the 4-mile mark, the trees began to thin and the earth dried.  Bumblebees buzzed around, thanking me for using my face to knock down every spider’s web across the trail.  The sun peeked through the trees and the path became ruddy, with a mulched texture of rotting redwood branches and leaves.  


            At the peak of the first mountain, trees parted and I saw that the trail continued along, tracing the spine of the mountain.  I climbed higher, noticing that the horse tracks I had followed up the mountain continued over fallen logs and across winding segments of the trail with nothing but a precipice to the right.  The rider must have been fearless and the horse stupid because half the tracks seemed to skirt the edge.  I stopped at the peak, enjoying my sandwich and looking out over the mountains to the east, their snowy caps just visible under a dense cloud ceiling.   A light wind shook the trees around me, but the clouds were open above and the sun dried a rock enough for me to sit.  


On the way back down, I passed through similar terraces.  Just along the fringe of darker Redwood groves, a forest of Christmas pines traced their branches across my arms.  Morning dew weighed heavy on their needles and I came away with damp patches soaked through the light shirt I wore.  As the trail traced down the mountain I saw an abandoned ski lift on another ridge cut through the dense forest and every mile or two, I followed numbered wooden markers hammered into trees. The last three miles were along a flat, marshy creek that I followed, jumping over muddy horse prints and the occasional fallen tree.  Patches of clover folded their leaves down in places where the sunlight had broken through the trees.  It was just past two and I could tell that the sun was bright outside my gloomy canopy.  The whole loop with a stop for lunch had taken me 4.5 hours. 
 
A quick detour to see Fout's house



No comments:

Post a Comment