Sunday, June 1, 2014

Laird Hot Springs and Watson Lake


I saw my first wild Bison munching grass beside the road on my way to the Laird hot springs.  Farther along the road, a group of big horn sheep had come down from the mountain to lick salt off the road and as I drove past, they watched me with bugged eyes. At the Laird hot springs, sulfurous waters bubble up from the ground in large marshy flats where lake chub (a kind of fish) have evolved to thrive in the warm waters.  Even during winter months the marsh doesn’t freeze. According to a sign, moose frequent the area, coming to find marsh greens that are higher in mineral content. I didn’t see any moose along the wooden boardwalk out to the hot spring pools, but I did see more than a few older folks boiled lobster red from a combination of  the hot water and the sun.


The drive after Laird hot springs took me out of the mountains, into the Yukon Territory, and to Watson Lake, the first city since Ft. Nelson.  I was ready for a good meal, having spent the last few days subsisting on a 5 lb bag of granola because I forgot to buy groceries in Ft. Nelson. With a meal of chicken and potatoes and a jaunt around the signpost forest and through the local railroad museum, I was back on the road, heading for the Teslin Lake campground.
Signpost Forest in Watson Lake

Overlooking the city of Teslin

No comments:

Post a Comment